Thursday, January 24, 2008

A Challenge

It's a challenge to do a good self portrait and I try to conquer that challenge at least once a year. I think it's fun and I figure if I can capture an image of myself that I am remotely happy with, then it helps me to capture images of others that they will be happy with. The picture to the right in my side bar is one of the many pictures I took in an entire shoot of myself last year. I was really happy with the results and how it improved my ability to relate to the people I photograph, so I decided I should attempt such a project every year. I may or may not do an entire photo shoot of myself this year, but until I make a final decision on that, here is this year's attempt. While I put my camera on a tripod and used the camera timer last year, this year I hand held the camera. I was pleasantly surprised . . . it's not too shabby for a shot that is usually impossible to get something great out of . . . you know . . . the ones where you're with a friend or your husband and no one else is around so you hold the camera out and get a shot to commemorate the experience . . . full of cheese and fun, but not usually something fabulous. I'll also confess that I took this picture while I was supposed to be being spiritual on a retreat with our church family. You see how easily my mind can wonder sometimes! And yes, I'm clearly a heathen! Also, I'm usually against doing a ton of photoshop on my photos, but when it comes to a close-up of myself, I'm all about it! Not fair, I know, but if I'm vain enough to take pictures of myself on a church retreat, I'm certainly too vain to let you see too many flaws. It's times like this that I have all the love in the world for photoshop. Maybe that defeats the true purpose of the challenge, but none-the-less, it is what it is.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Robyn! My name is Sarah and I really enjoy reading both your blogs. I am a Pioneer Woman fan as well! I was wondering what type of camera you have and what version of Photoshop you use.

Robyn said...

Hey, Sarah! Sorry it's taken me a while to respond . . . I tend to get behind easily and then have major catch-up to do! I'm glad you're enjoying the blogs. I enjoy them, so it's nice to know other people do as well. And, that Pioneer Woman is a hoot!

On to your questions . . . I currently use a Canon Rebel XT. The Rebel XTi is the latest version and it is great, but I've told people before, that while you can buy the XT version right now at a cheap price, I would totally recommend it. It's a great camera to get started with and learn on, and it's great for normal every day stuff. The next camera I will purchase is a Canon 5D. I'm looking forward to that, although I don't know how soon that will happen, and that will really make a huge difference in the quality of my work. It's a professional end camera, so I would not recommend starting out with it.

I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0. I think that there is a new version of it out as well, but I have a friend who does great photoshop work on the free version you can download from the website. The key to photoshop is knowing how to use it, not necessarily the version you have. Most people who have a huge photography business want the Creative Suite versions of Photoshop, but since I'm not much on Photoshop, I'm happy with elements.

Hope that helps and let me know if you ever have any other questions.

Shannon said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! I wish I had "photoshop" for my mirror every morning. Wouldn't that be great?

Sending love,
Shannon

Shannon said...

P.S. I tried to take my own self-portrait, and it just scared me! Got to go,......I'm researching plastic surgery sites now. Gee, Thanks a lot!

Have a wonderful trip!

Jill Moudy said...

I've been meaning to tell you, you look SOOOO Russian in this picture!!!!!!!!! Very beautiful..

Kathy hARRIS said...

yOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!! I loVE THE SELF PICTURE OF YOURSELF. YOU ARE SO TALENTED! KATHY HARRIS YOU ALSO NEED TO WRITE A BOOK . YOU HAVE SUCH A WAY WITH WORDS